Friday 27 August 2010

An Update.

The internet... I never realize how much I actually need it until it's out of reach.

Just recently I've moved into a new flat back in my old stomping ground, the beautiful city of York. I'm preparing to begin my MA in September (have I mentioned this? I'm sorry if I have) and like most new flats it lacks the basic amenities you require everyday to survive. Internet, Kettle, TV, the list of seemingly unimportant appliances stretches on. When we moved in about a week ago, the smallest but most vital things came with me, such as the kettle and toaster, because as a proud Englishman, I will admit the first thing you do after doing anything remotely strenuous is have a cup of tea. Eventually a few days later, after much kerfuffle, the TV was stricken from the list and the Freesat was installed, but not in time to watch the Big Brother final as Sam gave me an earful for (sorry =^.^=). Slowly but surely the list has dwindled and all that remains is the internet. Being a creature of habit (according to Sam, to which she constantly reminds me) I need home comforts and I don't settle in quite right until I have the internet. I would try and explain why, but it would probably make me sound like more of a mentalist than I actually am, so I hope that you empathize. All is well in York and I will post more on my MA and the comings and goings of everyday York-town.

After getting home today I sat down with a cup of tea to scroll through the latest headlines feed. I immediately found some more ludicrous stories on the BBC News website, after my last post, I thought people couldn't get more mentally deranged... I was wrong. The first one made me laugh but after a few seconds the morbidity of it all sunk in and I suddenly felt a bit weird about it all. A family from Japan have been arrested for failing to declare a member of their family as deceased and continuing to collect his pension. The detainees consist of an elderly lady named Michiko Kato (aged 81) who is the daughter of the deceased and also her daughter Tokimi (aged 53). The mummified remains of Sogen Kato were found inside the family home last month but the funny part is how they found him. Government officials were preparing to throw Mr Sogen Kato a birthday party, because he was about to become Tokyo's oldest man, at the ripe age of 111, just like Bilbo Baggins. They visited his home and obviously discovered the truth, but the scary thing is, it could be a common crime. The Police launched an investigation and over 200 centenarians registered as alive... are missing. Apparently he could of been dead for 30 years, I hope they didn't get him a huge cake to fit all those candles, what a waste.

The second story is strangely more sickening to me because it involves an animal. Now before you close the page and cease to read on, it doesn't involve the animal getting hurt physically, and there are no gruesome pictures of poor creatures maimed and being treated in an inhumane way. I would never write about such barbarity as it upsets me to even see stuff like that. The animal involved was a cat named Lola, who was cruelly put into a bin by a passer by and was left there for 15 hours until her owners discovered her, hearing her cries for help. The pedestrian who committed the offense is Ms Mary Bale of Coventry. Amazingly it was all caught on CCTV, the poor cat was on her own garden wall minding her own business when Ms Bale was walking past and stopped to stroke her. She seems friendly enough when all of a sudden she lifts the dustbin lid, picks up the cat by the scruff of the neck and drops her in, walking off without a seconds thought to what she'd done. When questioned by the police she said it was a "split second of misjudgment", whoa whoa whoa. Back up. Misjudgment? Walking past and putting a cat in a bin is not a "misjudgment", how about I come round to your house, Ms Bale, and dump you're fat arse in a wheelybin for 15 hours and see how you like it? Some people have no clue of their actions. I can safely say, without any doubt, I wouldn't piss on her even if she were on fire. Too read the article and see the video click here.

I doubt that I'll write another post before heading back to York on Monday morning, but you never know, crazy things happen when you least expect it.

As always I'm going to leave you with a little treat from Youtube and in the spirit of the Leeds/Reading festival going on this weekend I thought I'd give you some inspired rock. I was supposed to be there but my cash flow wouldn't allow it. So... much more choices than usual but I wanted it to be a bit different and because there's no 3 bands I can say are my favourites, I'm going to give you the headline act from each night of this years Leeds fest, and then 2 acts that I really like from each day. I hope you enjoy.

Friday ------- Saturday ------- Sunday
Headline ------ Headline ------ Headline
Other ---------- Other ---------- Other
Other ---------- Other ---------- Other

Thanks as always for reading

Take it EZ

LW

No comments:

Post a Comment