Sunday 15 March 2009

To The Merth Mobile!

This post is going to be short but sweet. I don't have that much to say, just a few things that I wish to bestow upon my small but valued reader base. I would call it fan base, but lets face it, It's clearly not.

Tomorrow is a glorious day for me, regardless of uni or the weather, which by the way is forecast to be good, so if you live in my area, break out the BBQ. No in fact my parents are making the trip from manchester to come see me at uni. Not only am I happy about seeing my parents, I know that they will have some very precious cargo in their possession, no unfortunately its not an old, bearded man with a sticker on his head, sadly not, what use he would be to me I'm unsure. They WILL be reuniting me however, with my bike. For some people a bike is just a bike, but for me this bike is a major chunk of my life that I've been without for some weeks now. 

Now for those of you looking at it thinking "What the f**k is that?" I will try to explain the best I can. The bike is what's known as a "Fixed Gear". The rear sprocket is screwed directly onto the hub with no freewheel mechanism. So if you pedal forwards the bike moves forwards, if you pedal backwards, the bike moves backwards. When riding you use the action of placing pressure down on the pedals to slow the bike down or lock the pedals in a static position to skid. I hope that helped if it didn't, wiki it.

So I'm hoping for some glorious sunny days in the coming weeks so I can take myself on a few rides into the countryside for a nice picnic and to read some Keats by the river. But until then I will have to put up with York's busy streets and a Starbucks (Not that Starbucks is a Poor substitute). 

I shall leave you with a YouTube classic (in my opinion), bringing together two of the most unlikely of collaborations. Although it shouldn't work, it just does and I cant help but writhe in laughter. Enjoy

Thanks always for reading.

Take it EZ

LW





2 comments:

  1. I had my bike with me out at school too. There isn't much parking on the campus, so anyone living in the apartments had to ride the bus onto campus. I opted to ride my bike instead.

    You have a nice bike :o) Mine is just a mountain bike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice bike! how long have you been riding fixed?

    ReplyDelete